Sure, there will be more time spent indoors this winter. We really don’t want our children to be out in the wind and cold. But, we also don’t think it’s the best thing for them to spend all of their free time after school and on the weekends in front of the TV, computer, or mobile screens.
Here’s a solve on the winter boredom problem that will help you give your children a good variety of entertainment this winter.
1. The screens aren’t completely avoidable…
Screen-time is still a fun way to pass time and potentially learn new things, so why not agree with your child on a daily amount of screen-time? For example, it could look something like this:
· 1 hour on the laptop, tablet, or smartphone after school when homework is done; 1 hour of TV before bed time.
· 1 new movie; 2 hours a day on the laptop, tablet, or smartphone; 2 hours a day on any video or computer games.
You could spend some of the screen-time on the weekend learning something new with your child. Online educational games, educational videos, or even documentaries – screen-time doesn’t always mean a waste of time.
2. Brainstorm a big project
Once screen-time is agreed on, brainstorm with your child on a big winter project that must be done by the end of winter. This will give them something else to fill up their time with. A few ideas could be:
· Build a toy house out of craft supplies
· Practice and put on a play for the family to celebrate the end of winter
· Learn to bake together, and by the end of winter, be able to make a beautiful cake for the family
3. Get other fun ideas
For more ideas on how to keep your children happy and entertained through the winter months, have a look at the blogs: