01st Nov 2019
Here’s a simple 7-ingredient vegan and gluten-free Mediterranean treat that the whole family will love (yes, even the meat-eaters). These Falafel burgers are easy to make, packed with flavour and great with a burger bun, pita, greens, or even on top of a salad.
(Recipe makes 4 burgers)
- 1 bundle fresh parsley (1 bundle yields ~2 cups chopped)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 large lemon (1 large lemon yields ~2 1/2 Tbsp juice)
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt + black pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 425 g can chickpeas (well rinsed and drained)
- 22-45 g ground raw walnuts, pecans, almonds, or Gluten-Free oat flour
- Dill Sauce
- Chili Garlic Sauce or Sriracha
- Burger buns, Pita or sturdy greens
- Combine parsley, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Add chickpeas and pulse until incorporated but still slightly chunky.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add nut meal (or oat flour) and mix again until a dough is formed that’s firm enough to be handled. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Divide dough into four equal sections then hand mould to form 4 large patties roughly 1.5 cm thick.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and refrigerate or freeze for 15 minutes to firm up. Preheat oven to 200˚C
- OPTIONAL STEP: For a little extra crust on the outside, before baking heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil. Swirl to coat pan, then add falafel. Carefully flip once golden brown – about 3-4 minutes – and then cook on the other side until golden brown as well – 3-4 more minutes. Return to the baking sheet for baking.
- Bake for a total of 30-40 minutes, flipping once at the halfway point. The longer you bake them, the firmer they’ll get!
- Serve warm wrapped in a pita or bun and desired sauces/toppings. Alternatively, serve atop a salad and use the garlic sauce as a dressing.
- Burgers will store in the fridge, layered with parchment paper in an airtight container, for several days. Freeze to keep longer.