27th Mar 2023
Are you ready to master the art of making Vetkoek from scratch? With Twinsaver’s Select A Size Roller Towel by your side, you’ll be frying up delicious, perfectly round Vetkoek in no time. In this blog, we’ll share a step-by-step recipe and tips on using Twinsaver’s convenient roller towel to keep your kitchen clean and stress-free.
- 1 kg Cake or Bread flour (8 x 250 ml / 8 cups)
- 15 ml Salt (3 tsp)
- 60 ml Sugar (4 tbsp)
- 60 g Margarine (4 tbsp)
- 10 g Instant Yeast (1 packet)
- 625 ml Lukewarm water (± 2½ cups)
- Oil, for frying
- Combine the cake or bread flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Gradually pour in the lukewarm water to form a soft dough. If necessary, add a little more water. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with greased plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and roll it into a log. Cut the log into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place them on a well-greased tray, leaving enough space for the balls to rise.
- Cover the tray with greased plastic wrap and allow the dough balls to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour oil into a large saucepan, filling it about ⅓ of the way. Heat the oil for about 5 minutes before frying the dough. Test the oil by placing a small piece of dough in it. If you see slight bubbles around the dough, the oil is ready.
- When the oil is heated, carefully lift a risen dough ball and place it into the warm oil, with the risen side (top) going in first. This will cause the flat side (bottom) to rise and puff out, creating a round Vetkoek. Fry for about 5 minutes until one side turns golden brown, then turn and fry the other side for an additional 5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the Vetkoek from the oil and drain them on paper towels or brown paper.
Serve the Vetkoek warm, filled with your choice of sweet or savoury fillings.