29th Apr 2019
Winter is coming… Game of Thrones fans will be all too familiar with these words. In George R. R. Martin’s fantasy world of Westeros, winter means endless snow, hard times and the rise of White Walkers and other terrifying creatures. But, to us, winter means something completely different. Winter is all about comfort food.
So to make sure you’re ready for the big chill ahead, we’re kicking off our 2019 winter recipes with one of our favourite winter treats. Enjoy!
Baked Almond and Plum Slices
- 250g butter (the colder the better – but not frozen)
- 165g plain flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300g almonds (ground)
- 50g almonds (flaked)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 plums
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Grease a 30cm baking tray with butter and line with Twinsaver Baking Paper
- Add the butter, sugar and ground almonds to a food processor and pulse to make a crumble mix. Spoon out half the mixture and set aside for later. Pour 140g flour into the remaining mixture and blend. Once it has formed a doughy consistency, tip the mixture into the baking tin, compress and bake for 15 – 20 mins. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Now for the filling. Put the mixture that you set aside earlier into the food processor (save a couple of teaspoons for the topping). Add eggs, 25g flour, cinnamon and baking power. Blend into a soft batter and spread over the base.
- Add chopped plum to the top and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 20 mins, remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining crumble mix and flaked almond.
- Bake for a further 20 mins, remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing.
Put comfort first this winter and spoil your family with this delicious baked treat. Remember, for all your baking needs, look for Twinsaver’s new baking range in store.